Sisters of the Midnight Sun by Fiona Valpy Publishes 9/15/26


 4.5 Stars- A powerful dual timeline historical fiction novel.  What set this book apart was the fact that the historical setting was in Norway.  


In 2001, Ruby is dealing with the loss of her twin sister to cancer.  She takes a job as a caretaker of an older woman named Hanna who lives in Shetland.  The living there is rough and isolated but Ruby begins to enjoy her new life and her small cottage while dealing with her grief.  She also begins to learn more about Hanna, who is fiercely independent.  Ruby sees that there are numbers on Hanna's arm and realizes that Hanna had at one time been in a concentration camp during WWII.  Hanna's story slowly comes out and it is quite the story. 


Before reading this book I had known that Norway was taken over by the Nazis during WWII even though they had tried to fight the Germans thinking that their mountains would help them win.  In this book I learned so much more about their resistance efforts.  Hanna's story was incredible and in the Author's Note at the end I learned that it was inspired by real people.  I have read so many WWII books over the years so when I find one that can really inspire me it is something special.  This one did just that when I read about Hanna's story and what Norway did to fight against the Nazis.  I have read a previous book by this author set during the same time period and I like that she draws attention to other countries during this time period.  It is hard to find books about Norway.  Their culture is fascinating to me and it is inspiring to read what they did to help fight the war, especially what the women did.  


I also really enjoyed reading about both characters.  Hanna is such a strong and formidable woman.  I love a strong heroine!  Ruby's story was secondary but I thought the connections to Hanna's story was interesting.  Plus I enjoyed the touches of romance.  I think many people who have been through loss could also relate to her.  This was fascinating historical fiction and a great read!


Thank you to Ballantine Books and NetGalley for this ARC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where the Girls Were by Kate Schatz Publishes 3/3/26

The Shippers by Katherine Center Publishes 5/19/26

Double Shadow by Andrew Ludington Publishes 4/21/26